Saturday, April 4, 2009

Review: The Kite Runner


Title: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Pages: 371
Genre:Historical Fiction
Rating: 4.5/5

T
his book was such an easy read, because I was always interested in the story line. There was always something that kept my attention and interest. Amir is the main character of the story and we follow him as he grows up in Afghanistan with his servant's son Hassan as his "best friend". They spend all of their days together, but in a way Amir is quietly ashamed to be friends with a Hazara/Servant. Then one day something happens that changes their relationship, and because of Amir's disloyalty to Hassan, he is too ashamed and haunted by what has happened. Amir tries everything he can to get rid of them but his father is too attached to Hassan and his father to let them go. Eventually, Amir and his father need to flee to America because of the government unrest. The story spans about 25 years total of Amir's life.

This book is a great story of life lessons. There is a couple of great quotes and I am a sucker for quotes!

"...lifting him from the certainty of turmoil and dropping him in a turmoil of uncertainty."

"I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night."


I
loved this book for a couple of reasons. First, I thought I could predict how the storyline would flow and was thrown off every single time. Also, I know nothing of Afghanistan and the cultures there. This book inspires me to want to learn all I can about this country, the history, the culture, the people, the government, everything. Another thing I really loved about this book is you get to see how this character has developed over the span of his life. You see how he grows, matures, realizes what is important, and who really matters in the end. Such a great read.


8 comments:

Trish said...

Next you have to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. Brooke and my dad liked The Kite Runner better, but I liked the second one because it takes place solely in Afghanistan and is centered around women. Hosseini is such a great storyteller.

Bellezza said...

I hated this book, and I hated a Thousand Splendid Suns. I'm angry about how women are treated, but in the Kite Runner I'm still upset about how he didn't stand up for his friend. I know I'm in a minority here, and of course, I respect your opinion and the good you could find.

bkclubcare said...

I read this so long ago and just recently watched the film. I honestly am not sure what i think of it.

Pam said...

Sounds like a good read...I'll be looking for it at the library.

Care said...

hey - thanks for cheering for me!! I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Laura said...

Thanks for all the encouragement! It is very appreciated! :)

Girl That Reads said...

I have this in my notebook of TBR books! I've heard so many great things about it!

Stephanie said...

The Kite Runner is one of my favorite books. Glad you enjoyed it!