Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Winter Reading Challenge: WRAP-UP

Robin of My Two Blessings hosted the Winter Reading Challenge. It officially ends on March 20. Originally, I had nine books on my list. However, I only read 7. Two of the books, I was unable to obtain, so here we are.

The books I read are:

1- The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

2- A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

3- We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver

4- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

5- Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, and 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell

6- America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines by Gail Collins

7- White Oleander by Janet Fitch

I would have to say that my absolute favorite book was The Art of Racing in the Rain. I loved Enzo. I loved the story, I laughed and cried, and fell in love with this novel. Definitely my top choice for the year.

My least favorite was A Million Little Pieces. If you read my review, you will know why.

The two I could never find, and am really bummed I couldn't were; 31 Songs by Nick Hornby and Austenland by Shannon Hale. They are still on the TBR pile, so hopefully I can get to those soon...

Thanks Robin for hosting this challenge. You are the Hostess with the Mostest!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I read A Million Little Pieces years ago before we all new how the author lied through most of it - I barely finished it. I couldn't stand the writing style at all.

Nise' said...

Great job on the challenge. I want to get to Austenland as well!

Smilingsal said...

I read White Oleander years ago. Congratulations on meeting your challenge.

Trish said...

Can you believe it is almost spring? (Although it was almost too hot to run outside this afternoon! Not a good sign of what's to come). Congrats on finishing the challenge!! Do you have a pretty good library system?

Beth F said...

Austenland is fun, so I hope you track it down soon. Congrats on finishing.

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Congratulations on finishing the challenge. Enjoyed reading your reviews and discovering new books to read and not to read. :) Thank you for joining in!

Michelle said...

Stephanie- I thought I could read the book despite the lies. I thought I will just read this as fiction, but it was just terrible. The writing it awful.

Nise- I can't even find Austenland at the Library! I really want to get to it though.

Smilingsal- I loved White Oleander! What a great story!

Trish- Last week was almost 80 and this week in the low 40's. I am so ready for Spring to come! I love the sunshine. You know, my library is really large, but there has been a couple of books that I haven't been able to find, so....

Beth F- Thanks, I hope to get to Austenland soon as well!

Robin- Thank you for hosting the challenge. It was fun!

Amy @ Passages to the Past said...

I really enjoyed the book Oleander when I read it years ago and the movie was good too!

Trish said...

I miss you...!!!