Monday, March 16, 2009

Review: Julie & Julia


Title: Julie & Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment
Author: Julie Powell
Genre: Memoir
Pages: 320
Rating 3.5/5

Julie is on the brink of turning thirty. She hates her job, not sure if she is able to have children, and needs something to give her more fulfillment. While visiting her mother, she stumbles upon her mothers old copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking (MtAoFC) by Julia Child.

She is attempting to make all 524 recipes including brains, kidneys, and all. She tells of her triumphs, failures, and frustrations. She journals everything on her blog, and becomes quite successful and popular (hence, the book).

Julie is spunky, sassy, and a little self-absorbed. She has endearing qualities that I liked in Bridget Jones. She can be a little crass at times, but overall an easy, witty read. I thought the very idea of her "project" very creative.

There is a movie with Meryl Streep playing Julia Child and Amy Adams playing Julie Powell. I wonder how it will be.....

Couldn't find a trailer for it quite yet. :(

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I read this book! I liked it lots. I would love to see the movie if they follow the book and not chop it up. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Michelle said...

Sherrie: I am really looking forward to watching this movie. I am a huge fan of Meryl Streep. I never go into movies with high expectation after reading the book first. They are never as good as the novel.

Trish said...

All those recipes--holy cow!! Sounds like the type of book that would keep me hungry the entire time. Does the book share some of the recipes?