Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


Title: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Author: John Boyne

Pages: 216

Genre: Historical Fiction

Rating: 2.5/5


Bruno is a nine year old boy that moves with his family from Berlin to Auswitz (Out-With according to Bruno.) He is so upset to leave his five story home and his three best friends. His new home is only three stories, and there is no one to play with. One day while Bruno is exploring, he comes across a boy his same age on the other side of the fence. He is so excited to have a new friend. They meet in the same place every day. Bruno, because he loves exploring and wants to help his friend out, wants to see what the other side of the fence is like. He is sure that it is so much better than where he is living. Finally he has the oppurtunity to go to the other side.


I am not really sure where to start with the review of this book. WWII is something that I am so fascinated with and I love reading and learning about it. To begin, the author has a fantastic idea for the novel. There are so many underlying messages. I loved the way the author was able to bring an innocence to what was taking place at this concentration camp. It provides another view to what happened. It was a terrible tragedy for most of Europe.


The reading was very simple and very quick. The book is located in the YA section, and I could have read in one sitting.


I felt as though there was no closure. I was left wanting more. I think that the author could have elaborated a lot more to the story. Like I said earlier, I love the idea of this story, but was expecting a lot more than what was given. This could have been a great rough draft, and I would have loved to have read something with more depth. All in all, I did like the story.
I still have not seen the movie, but am going to this week. I am looking forward to see how they make that adaptation.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Nick (yes, my brother) was reading this one. I don't think he ever finished, but I am supposed to get next dibs. Sometimes YA fiction leaves me wanting a lot more than what is given. You MUST read The Book Thief...!!!