Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Lovely Bones


Title: The Lovely Bones
Author: Alice Sebold
Pages: 328
Genre: Fiction/Thriller/Horror
Rating: 4.5/5
"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Suzie."
The book begins by describing this horrible crime of rape and murder. The victim: Suzie Salmon. She was murdered by her neighbor at 14 years old, in a cornfield near her home. She tells the story of what she is seeing from her Heaven. The lives that move on, the ones she chooses to stay with, and the new lives she meets in Heaven.
I really feel at a loss about what to say about the book. The characters were so real to me, that the book had this very eerie sense about it. I was struggling on whether I should even finish the book because I just felt so disturbed by this man that murdered this girl and affected her family in the way that he did, it just felt so real to me, and yet I found that I just could not put the book down. By the end of the story, I felt satisfied but with a sense of melancholy behind it. I have never had a book affect me the way that this one did. I really did like the book a lot but I think it is one that I will keep in the back of the pile, and not pick it up again for a really long time if ever again. I think the story resembles the movie Ghost. Anyone agree?

2 comments:

Amy said...

I read this book years ago and it stuck with me for a long time afterwards. Powerful novel, but there are times you ask yourself...should I be reading this? Like you said, it's too hard to put down. Did the movie already come out? I know Dakota Fanning was going to play the main character...which I thought was a good choice.

Trish said...

I read this novel and really liked it--loaned it out to a friend--never got it back and recently picked up another copy. I'd really like to re-read it before the movie comes out. Definitely haunting!!