Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Matrimony






Title: Matrimony

Author:Joshua Henkin

Pages: 291

Rating: 3.5/5

"Out! Out! Out!"

Julian Wainwright, the only son to wealthy parents, can not leave for college soon enough. He attends a fictional college, Graymont University, and becomes friends with Carter Heinz, whom is in his fictional writing class.

The both of them are looking through the college facebook and happens upon Mia Mendelsohn. Refined and beautiful. Carter meets Mia first but already has a girlfriend. Later Julian runs into Mia while at the laundro-mat, and they hit it off immediately. They are inseparable from then on out.

During their senior year, Mia discovers her mother has cancer. To let her mother see her get married before she dies, they decide to get married right after they graduate.

The story then lets you in on their marriage and where life leads them.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the real-ness of relationships. The fact that companionship is not perfect. You don't get married and live happily ever after. But even through all the hard times, you can still make it through.

People have described the book as quiet, and I would mostly agree. There were a couple of points that I gasped because of a surprise, but for the most part, it was really enjoyable to sit down and follow the characters through their good times and bad.

Did the book end with the possibility for a sequel?!



4 comments:

Trish said...

Glad you liked this one! It was a quiet book but definitely a lot going on at the same time!

Bookfool said...

Michelle,

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm glad to see you enjoyed Matrimony. I think I particularly enjoyed it because of the bits set in Ann Arbor, since I lived there for a time and Josh did a great job of describing the area. Definitely a quiet, slow-paced book but one that I found hard to set down.

Kari said...

I picked this book up a couple of weeks ago after reading a couple of reviews about it. I'm definitely going to have to get around to actually opening it soon, it sounds like a good read!

Anonymous said...

Don't you love me

You can find my pics here

[url=http://sexscreener.org/p/random/1992]My Profile[/url]