Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time


Title: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Author: Mark Haddon
Pages: 226
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 3/5
" It was 7 minutes after midnight."
Christopher is 15 years 3 months and 2 days old. He is an only child living with his father. He knows every prime number up to 7,057. He hates to be touched and hates the color yellow. The story begins while Christopher is out walking and finds his neighbors dog has been stabbed with a garden fork.
Christopher's story is a murder mystery. He must find who killed Wellington, the poodle. This book is his quest to find who is responsible and have them punished.
The book seems like a simple story line, but really is much deeper. Christopher is autistic. It is written in such a way that you are able to get inside of his head to understand better the idiosyncrasies of someone who is autistic.
The storyline does seem to lose focus at times, but not in a way that you cannot keep track. In fact it can really help put things into perspective.
The book was very captivating to read. You will fall in love with Christopher and hurt for him as the murderer is uncovered. The ending is quite tender. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a very quick read, and one that will keep you thinking about autism in a whole new way.
This quote is great at explaining what goes on inside the head of someone with autism. He is quoting a Sherlock Holmes book.
" ' The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.'
"But he notices them like I do. Also it says in the book:
'Sherlock Holmes had, in a very remarkable degree, the power of detaching his mind at will.'
"And this is like me too, because if I get really interested in something, like practicing maths...., I don't notice anything else, and father can be calling me to come eat my supper and I won't hear him. This is why I am good at playing chess, because I detach my mind at will and concentrate on the board and after a while the person I am playing will stop concentrating and start scratching their nose, or staring out the window, and then they will make a mistake and I will win."

1 comment:

Trish said...

Great review, Michelle. I would love to re-read this one--I actually loaned it out to a friend (same one as The Lovely Bones) and also didn't get it back but I picked up a cheap used copy a few months ago. I was really moved by this story as well--crazy that we have 3 cousins (once removed) who are autistic!