Friday, October 3, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees


Date Finished: Oct. 3, 2008
Pages: 302
Rating: 5/5
Lily Owens is a fourteen year old who has run away from home, run away from her terrible father, trying to find out more about her mother who was killed in a terrible gun accident. All she has is a picture of the "black virgin Mary" with the name of a town, Tiburon, SC written on the back. She is sure that this is where her mother came from and wanted to take her before her unfortunate accident, and where she will find the answers she has needed.
She finds herself working with a couple of sisters as a beekeeper and maker of honey. This story follows her through her discoveries, heartaches, and learning about life and her mother.

I have heard this book has "changed lives". I really loved reading this book, but would hardly say that my life is "changed".
In the beginning of the story, I quickly fell in love with Lily and her sweetness. How she yearned for her mother and hurt from her father. I could really empathize with her by the way the auther had dexcribed who this girl is in her soul. I flowed right through the book. I am curious to see how the movie coming out will follow the book.

6 comments:

Trish said...

I think I read this book when there was too much hype because it just didn't do it for me. I can really only remember little things about the book. Maybe I'll have to re-read it and see if I like it any better the second time around. The movie looks pretty good!

Beth F said...

I agree with your review. I really liked the book, but it didn't change my life. I would still recommend it others, however, because the story was well written. I remember the basic plot, but I had more or less forgotten about the book until I started reading the reviews for this challenge.

michellekae said...

One thing that I will say about this book that I think really made me love it was the way the author was able to make me fall in love with Lily. To feel for her and hurt and yearn with her. In one of the first two chapters or so when she is thinking about her mother and her vulnerability, and the hurt that she feels, I really felt for her and wanted to go and just hug and love her. That was a new dimension for me while reading, I have never had an author be able to do that with a character for me before. That has really stuck out for me.

Trish said...

Yay! I recently read a post (can't remember where) that talks about how people who read more tend to get less discouraged when the come upon a bad book because they have a store of positive experiences to draw upon. Whereas a person who doesn't read as much will get turned off quicker by a bad book because they don't have as many positive reading experiences to draw from. Seems like common sense in a way (although I hadn't really thought about it). My point is...this will definitely go into your "good memories/feelings" whatever you want to call it. Ok, I'm totally talking out of my ass. I wish I could remember where that blog posting was! Basically--isn't that the best feeling in the world?? I LOVE when a book pulls me in that way and it definitely keeps me reading to try and get to that next great experience with another book. Sorry Michelle--it's been a LONG day!!

Sandra said...

I liked this story very much too, despite the hype. Now that I've read who are playing the roles in the movie I know it will be good. I don't usually like films made from books but I think this one will be worth watching. Glad you reviewed it. Dakota Fanning is playing the little girl, I adore her.

Trish said...

By the way, Michelle--do you have the comments turned off on your other blog? I keep popping over on your newest post to try and comment but there isn't a link for comments. So I guess I'll just say it here. Emmory is so beautiful!! And I'm glad you guys had fun at the zoo. And even though I lived all the way across the country from Grandma I have never felt any less close to her--but I understand where you are coming from being so far from family.