Sunday, October 19, 2008

Read-a-thon

So the 24 hour read a thon is over, and I must say what a great idea. I have not participated in a read-a-thon since the days at Bacchus Elementary in Mrs Perkins class. It was nostalgic to think of those times, of course the books I chose then were more like the Ramona series and the like. I was able to finish 2.5 books as I was not able to spend as much time on this as I had hoped. (see previous blog)

The first book I finished was Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden). As I said before, I will write my reviews of the books at a later time because I am short on time now. But here is a quote from the book that really stuck out to me.

"We lead our lives like water flowing down a hill, going more or less in one direction until we splash into something that forces us to find a new course."

The second book that I finished was Suzannes Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. What a heart wrenching and beautiful story. When I became a mother, anything that I see or read about children affects me on a different level. I really did love this book. It was not as predictable as I thought, and there are a couple of twists to it.

And the third book that I am just about finished with is Where the Heart is by Billie Letts. I have seen the movie but never read the book. I have always wanted to pick this up, but for some reason never did. I really do love this book so far. Of course, I have some idea how the story is going to end, but movies never follow the book like they should.

Overall, I had a great time, but really would have loved to devote more of my time to it. Next time around, I will definitely come more prepared and make sure that I can give more time to it! I love reading and I love participating in these challenges. Thanks to all that organized and encouraged. See you in the blogospere!

1 comment:

Trish said...

So glad that you participated! Next time hopefully you'll be able to have more time and also do a few mini-challenges and such. Haha--for me it's almost more fun to blog around during the read-a-thon than read (don't tell anyone I said that!!).

And I'm really impressed with the reading you got done--especially with Emmory!! Great job Michelle. :)